Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Sugar Says - Write Like a Motherfucker; Look Hard; Risk That

As 2013 turns into 2014 and I watch fireworks and kiss cold cheeks and lips and warm my hands inside a pub and dance and drink and eat - I keep returning to tiny beautiful things - Advice on love and life from Dear Sugar.  I'm reading it as I consider a new year marked, and what that might mean in my life. Submitting my writing to a broader audience, I may post this piece of advice Sugar (revealed as Cheryl Strayed) wrote to Elissa Bassist, inserting my name as needed, to my writing desk: 

So write, [Rebecca Snavely]. Not like a girl. Not like a boy. Write like a motherfucker.
                               Yours,
                                  Sugar

And more Sugar-y goodness —
It's going to be difficult, but that's no surprise. The story of human intimacy is one of constantly allowing ourselves to see those we love most deeply in a new, more fractured light. Look hard. Risk that.

No comments: