Thursday, May 09, 2013

Mother's Day: Connect with Congo

"Happy Mother's Day!" a man said to me as I passed his gate. Before thinking, I replied in instinctive, cultural politeness, "Happy Mother's Day to you, too!" Similar to when someone at an airline desk tells me to have a safe flight and I reply without thinking, "You too!" They nod, stuck behind the desk where they watch planes alight into the air, used to the auto-response. That Mother's Day, flustered, I apologized, then explained, "But I'm not a mother, either." "That's okay," he said, more thoughtful than I.  "Aren't we all mothering someone, or something, in some way?"

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to ‘jump at de sun.’ We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." ~ Zora Neale Hurston

The concept of mother crosses cultures, languages, religions, eras. Mothers who, day in, day out, give encouragement, who hope for the best for those they love. Who give birth to creative ideas and see them through to completion.

This Mother's Day, we have disturbing news that the worst place in the world to be a mother is the Democratic Republic of Congo. Through Action Kivu's work with the local Congolese organization ABFEK, we're working to empower those mothers to make changes in their lives, in their communities. 

Read more here, and find out how this Mother's Day, you can connect with the mothers graduating from the sewing workshops in Congo, and help make their hopes reality.


No comments: