Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Yoga Lesson - Living in the Uncertainty

With my week's pass to Equinox firmly in hand, I march into morning yoga class, holding tightly to my mat and my resolution to become one with my body, to quiet my monkey mind, to be present.

If only Andrew, our yoga guide for the hour, knew the nutjob he was dealing with, barely hearing him over my ongoing mantra of being not good enough to do crow pose (seriously.  WHEN will I get crow pose?) as he adjusts my hip for a more open Warrior Two. But as the hour passes, I become more aware of the safe space, reminded to rest in child's pose, especially necessary when we're working hard. I watch the athletic giant in the front of the room, an inflexible man who never gives up, modify every pose. I may even learn to let go my perfectionism and instead be inspired by the lithe, strong woman easily flipping into a headstand. In downward dog, I obey Andrew and swing my leg behind me, opening my hip to the window that is filled with that sunlight that only shows itself at 7:30 in the morning.

As we hold our hands in prayer position at our heart center, we bow, and honor the teacher within, who guides us through difficult positions on the mat, and in life. We accept living in uncertainty.  There is so much uncertainty in life: I'm attempting to find more funding for Action Kivu projects, including a full-time salary for myself.  I have no idea if that will work.  I'm leaving for my first experience of that desert life of spirituality and house music, Burning Man. Other than dust in my eyes and fairy wings on my back, I have no idea what to expect. But that may just be what it's all about.  Living in the mystery, breathing deeply into acceptance, honoring the work our bodies do, and opening ourselves to the morning sunlight. 


(Photo from SoaringSpiritYogaStudio)

No comments: