Friday, July 30, 2010

Path Finding: Teach Abroad?


The Path, originally uploaded by Arkadius Zagrabski.
I've been a job-search schizophrenic lately. In just over one month, I've sent out emails to my poor, poor patient friends and family with the following subject lines: "Massage therapy! Info please," "What do you know about broadcast journalism?" "Nutritionist, could that get me work in a developing nation?" and "Hey, Obama, will you pay for my grad school?"

That last one may have put me on a watch list.

Perhaps I should take my meds, you might be thinking. Unemployed over a year, receiving no feedback from flinging my resume far and wide, feeling undereducated without a masters, but underemployed to afford said masters, I'm spinning myself in circles. My meds in this case include deep breathing, closing my eyes to slow the spinning, and to look at what is connected in all my dream jobs.

Helping others (massage, nutrition). Hearing and telling stories (journalism). And most of all, always, travel. I was recently reminded of one of the quintessential quirks of my Sagittarius sign, the willingness to try new things. The get up and go of life is what makes me feel alive.

And suddenly, it came to me, a little voice or possibly an ad via gmail: teach English overseas! "I can't believe we didn't think of this sooner," a friend said. "It's perfect for you!" And from my mother, my biggest champion, and the woman who helped finance my first adventure overseas (Serbia & Kosovo): "It's perfect! You could have taught English when you were 7." Granted, though I was a geeky kid whose idea of a fun car game was asking for harder and harder words to spell, I was also so shy I couldn't be found in crowds, hiding behind my mother's skirts. But now? I still love the bizarre rules of the English language, and bonus! I'm WAY too tall to hide behind anyone, thus accustomed to being on display.

I'm researching the best online programs for certification, and would prefer to be placed back in Kosovo, or Eastern Europe. I understand the pay is not great in developing nations, but that's where I want to be, to help those who are hungry to learn. If you know anything, please email me! (rebecca.snavely at gmail) Especially if you know of an organization known to help supplement the local pay, as incentive for native English speakers to work in developing countries. Student loans must be paid, or else I'd go for the people, their stories and live on peanut butter, bananas, and Turkish coffee.

This feels less schizo, more right. Ready to jump in to the unknown.

No comments: