Thursday, April 08, 2010

I am Ugly Betty: a future beyond film and fashion

Betty blogs, I blog. Betty works at a fashion magazine, I read fashion magazines! Suarez ... Snavely ... it's like we were separated at birth.

With the series finale airing next Wednesday, I've started watching "Ugly Betty" again. In last week's episode, Betty turned down a fashion columnist job when an ex reminded her that fashion is simply not her passion. She wants her writing to highlight the world's needs, real life people whose problems are far greater than what shoes go with which bag.

Throughout the series, it's obvious that Betty's cheery attitude and hard work is what gets her ahead, but it's equally obvious that she's in the wrong industry. Fashion's not the right fit. It's so easy to get into a job, an area of life, and move forward without thinking: is this what I want?

I've been in the film industry off and on for most of my adult life, but Monday night, when Cate and I pitched Action Kivu to the Los Angeles Modern Quilt Guild, I was reminded once again that THIS is what I want to do. I felt high on adrenaline and energy as I walked out of Home Ec, a fun, funky shop filled with fabulous fabrics, sewing machines and crafty, creative women. It was our first pitch, and a good test to work out the kinks of our five-minute presentation covering the conflict in the eastern Congo and what Amani and Amini are doing to empower and educate the women and children through the Kivu Sewing Workshop and sending kids to school.

It was inspiring to see a community of women come together, and to see their interest and compassion for women in eastern Congo. The L.A. Modern Quilt Guild will be working on a quilt to raffle to raise money both for their own non-profit status, and to support their sewing sisters in Congo. Cate and I are waiting for fiscal sponsorship so we can start raising money and take your tax-deductible donation to help support Action Kivu. More soon! (And if you're a quilter - check out the main page of the Modern Quilt Guild to find if there's one in your city.)

1 comment:

Des said...

That's wonderful that you found something that you're passionate about. It takes courage to be a social entrepreneur. I'm very happy for you and I hope you have a great weekend.