Wednesday, March 17, 2010

NOT shopping - my love for thrift and Archival Clothing

Those of you who know me and my Saturday habits know how much I love to thrift.  It is, indeed, a verb, when approached in the proper way.  To thrift takes a little time and effort, sorting through the hangers of clothes that you know the resale buyer at the front would never deign to buy from you, but somehow thought it worthy from the quasi-celebrity who dropped off her big brown bag of this season's been-worn-once clothes. 

That is the beauty of living in L.A. — to take advantage of the wealthy who can only wear clothes once before selling them back at Crossroads or Wasteland.

Plus, it's good, clean conscious living.  Check out Archival Clothing:  their New Year's resolutions:

1. Decide that quality matters and pay for it. In the end, it will save you time and money.

2. Before you buy, be selective. Scrutinize items for build quality, fit, finish, functionality and lasting style. If an item is not perfect, catch and release it.

3. Do more with less. Add a few key pieces to your wardrobe and wear them until they dissolve.

4. Shop from yourself and from thrift shops. Repurpose strategic items from the past.

(and more...)

and how to shop one's own wardrobe.

(I love that my father turned me on to this blog.)

(Image: Archival Clothing)

1 comment:

Des said...

That archival clothing blog is really cool. I find this subject totally intimidating. I have little to no fashion sense so I rely heavily on the sales personnel wherever I shop. lol.

It's embarrasing that as a grown man I can't dress myself, but there it is.