Saturday, March 06, 2010

Holy Basil! Herbs to ditch the stress

After one month of email-heavy work hunched over a desk in a room that turns balmy to arctic in 2.5 seconds, I feel stress.  I feel it in my muscles that were made to move in non-repetitive pattens (is the next step in evolution based on copy and paste?).  And today I read that stress is "taking its toll on my insides as well" — though that seems obvious from this horrific cold my body so gratefully accepted from a co-worker this week.  "The body has two modes: rest and repair, and fight or flight," says Bevin Clare, M.S., in Meghan Rabbitt's article on supplements you need to optimize your health.  "An adaptogen (herb) helps your body switch to the rest and repair mode, which is when your body functions ideally." 

"If you're dealing with cumulative stress, opt for panax ginseng, which helps restore energy and vitality reserves.  If you're dealing with low-grade stress, tulsi (aka holy basil) can help stabilize the release of cortisol, the 'stress hormone.'" Rabbitt reports. ("The Super Six" Natural Health, Feb 2010)

It's Saturday, so I'm off to relieve stress with some yoga and friend time.  Though a fireplace by the bathtub seems like it might help in a pinch.  



(Photo from Apartment Therapy)

3 comments:

Des said...

I'm sorry that you are so stressed, and hope that you have a relaxing weekend. I've found that a good herbal tea always helps me to relax.

Rebecca Snavely said...

Thanks Des. And thankfully, my job is not really that stressful, I'm just out of whack sitting all day long. :)

khulud said...

hey, yup, life is very stressful, but we need to always remember to take a break, and that life will go on even without us there round the clock. so chill out a bit - take a break from life.
p.s. though I haven't posted any comments in a while, this just to let you know that I am following your blog and enjoying the posts.
hugs,
khulud