Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Word(s) for 2010: Embrace | Abundance

I've never been a New Year's Resolutions girl, it always seemed arbitrary.  But something about this new year, so round and full in it's 2010-ness, made me want to pay special attention, to use the arbitrary turning of our created calendar as a wake-up kick, a little caffeine for my soul.  At her blog Ink on my fingers, Susannah warns about choosing a word for the year: "If you set your intention on a word, it might just come true, hence the need to choose your word wisely."

I thought my word was embrace, but then the word abundance came to mind.  Rather than let them fight it out, I realized that embrace encompasses abundance. Embrace allows for all. I like that the image of embrace is both of arms wide open, with acceptance, and enclosing someone or something in ones arms, holding it tight.  Too often I'm afraid to follow through on something, to commit. In embrace, with arms both open and enclosing, there is no fear.



I've posted this excerpt before, but it says so well what I hope for this year, how I want to focus my intention.

When it's over, I want to say: all my life
I was a bride married to amazement.
I was the bridegroom; taking the world into my arms.

When it's over, I don't want to wonder
if I have made my life something particular, and real.
I don't want to find myself sighing and frightened,
or full of argument.

I don't want to end up simply having visited this world.

(When Death Comes, by Mary Oliver)
And one of my favorite pictures of embrace, a lion hugging its rescuer.



(Top photo: Tell me the rest of the story, by dianalemieux, etsy.com)

3 comments:

Des said...

I really liked this passage. What an excellent sentiment to start off the new year.

Rebecca Snavely said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca Snavely said...

Thanks Des, one of my favorite poets. Happy New Year to you!