Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Bust: Poehler on lady-on-lady crime, DIY window gardens and gluten-free goodies


How have I not read this magazine before? My friend handed over her Dec/Jan '10 issue of Bust (for women with something to get off their chests) for me to check out the interview with Amy Poehler.

Rachel Dratch asks "What's your favorite and least favorite things about being a mom?"
Poehler: "My favorite things is my kid. It's cliché, but it's true. A little person exists in this little body and he's growing, and getting to meet that person is the coolest part. And then—BUST will enjoy this rant and so will you Dratch. This is a rant I would say to you even if I wasn't being interviewed. My least favorite part is when women ask me how I do it. There's been a little lady-on-lady crime in my life recently, where a person was asking me about my schedule and, like working mothers everywhere, I have to work and I have help. I'm lucky to have help with my kid, and then you've just got to make it work. In my case, I'm a lot luckier than some people who have to work two jobs and, you know, I sometimes get to bring my kid to work and all that stuff. But this woman was like, 'Oh, my God, your hours! You just work so hard! How do you do it?' And I realized that, 'How do you do it?' really means 'How could you do it?' ... There's an unwritten rule that women who stay at home are supposed to pretend it's boring, and women who work are supposed to pretend they feel guilty, and that's how it works. ... Women fuckin' torture each other."

(Buy the issue to read the rest of their conversation.)

And - from "the hanging garden" a lesson in DIY window gardens (WindowFarms.org).

PLUS a recipe for gluten-free banana chocolate-chip bread?!? Where has this magazine been all my life?

2 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free all purpose baking flour (find at Whole Foods or other health-food stores)
3 tsp. each of GF baking powder* (*3 tsp. of GLUTEN-FREE recipe below = 2 tsp. reg)
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. each of Xanthan gum (also at Whole Foods), salt and ground cinnamon
1/2 cup coconut oil
2/3 cup each of agave nectar & rice milk
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tsp. vanilla
6 medium bananas, peeled and mashed

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease loaf pans with oil. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, Xanthan gum, salt and cinnamon. Add coconut oil, agave nectar, rice milk and vanilla to the dry ingredients. Stir til batter is smooth. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the bananas and chocolate chips. Pour the batter into pans and bake on center rack for 30 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean) , rotating the pan 180 degrees after 15 minutes.

Then send to me.

Happy reading and eating!

*How to make gluten-free baking powder:
(Gluten & Corn Free)
Ingredients:
1/3 cup Baking Soda
2/3 cup Cream of Tartar
2/3 cup Arrowroot (or potato starch)
Mix well. Store in an airtight container.
1½ teaspoon of this mixture = 1-teaspoon of regular baking power

No comments: