Tuesday, December 01, 2009

December: A few of my favorite things

So many reasons I love December, my birthday month!  Happy Birthday to all my fellow Sagittarians who follow their own paths and refuse to play by the rules.  The first snow.  Hot chocolate.  White twinkly lights in trees.  The quiet of a night walk in snow that muffles all other sounds.  Scarves and gloves and wood fires and candles.  Memories of snow days and pancakes, running out to see how deep the snow was on my bare legs. Bad Christmas music piping from the tinny neighborhood speaker system that makes me appreciate the quiet, beautiful Christmas music of choirs and Tracy Chapman's "O Holy Night." 

Christmas movies: Will Ferrell in "Elf" (Phone rings, Buddy answers: "Buddy the Elf.  What's your favorite color?") Barbara Stanwyck in "Christmas in Connecticut." Bing Crosby in "White Christmas."

New Year's Eve, the expectations, the parties, and the best New Year's Eve ever:  a night of music in an old stone church with bright red doors. At midnight, bagpipes played Auld Lang Syne as we lit candles to welcome the new year.


(Winter glow - CottageGardenPhoto, Etsy)

The Storm
by Mary Oliver


Now through the white orchard my little dog
     romps, breaking the new snow
     with wild feet.
Running here running there, excited,
     hardly able to stop, he leaps, he spins
until the white snow is written upon
     in large, exuberant letters
a long sentence, expressing the pleasures of the body in this world.

Oh, I could not have said it better
     myself.


(Portland, Christmas 2008)

What are your favorite things about this month?  Favorite winter and/or holiday music? Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas Is You." (Admit it.  It's bouncy. You love it.) 


Happy December!

2 comments:

Des said...

My favorite thing is spending the holidays with my family. Elf is a good movie but I think Scrooged with Bill Murray is a hilarious film.

Rebecca Snavely said...

How could I forget Scrooged?! Stapling the little anters to the mice, CAROL KANE beaning Murray with a toaster -- priceless. I'm going to search for it to DVR it right now.