Tuesday, October 27, 2009

What will come on the wind?

I was nearly knocked off my feet, the wind gusts in L.A. today so strong they reached 50mph in some parts of the city. Winds that come from where? bring a sense of change, of mystery, of something different in this day. My hair whipping around my face, parts of palm trees littering the street, and kids dancing and play-fighting in the unexpected wind reminded me of two of my favorite movies. Sing along, you all know it — Did you ever know that you're my heeeeero?

Okay, not Beaches. A different wind blows through both Chocolat and Volver.

"Once upon a time, there was a quiet little village in the French countryside, whose people believed in Tranquilité - Tranquility. If you lived in this village, you understood what was expected of you. You knew your place in the scheme of things. And if you happened to forget, someone would help remind you. In this village, if you saw something you weren't supposed to see, you learned to look the other way. If perchance your hopes had been disappointed, you learned never to ask for more. So through good times and bad, famine and feast, the villagers held fast to their traditions. Until, one winter day, a sly wind blew in from the North...



And with the wind we meet Vianne (Juliette Binoche) and her daughter Anouk, whose travels are guided by the north wind.

"But still the clever north wind was not satisfied. It spoke to Vianne of towns yet to be visited, friends in need yet to be discovered, battles yet to be fought..."

In Volver, a beautiful, magical film about a community of women, the east wind is the culprit for madness and insanity in one small village.



The wind is still beating against my windows — the perfect weather to watch these movies. It also means it's time to add these to my collection.

Have you seen them? What movies are must-haves for you, so you can watch them when the mood and weather are right?

(Photo: Fairfax Av.)

3 comments:

Des said...

Juliette Binoche is such a beautiful woman. She just has that it factor. Whenever it's cold and rainy outside I like to watch British period pieces. I will usually want to watch "The Remains of the Day" or "Gosford Park."

Shannon said...

Funny... we had a wind blow through here the other day and I was thinking similar thoughts... I was thinking of The Alchemist, though, and the different winds that blow through the boy's life... each bringing different possibilities... the intriguing scents of far off lands or the whisper of perfume of a distant love... either way... the winds always inspire me to be adventurous... just something about it that I love...

What *will* come on the wind?

And where will it blow us?

Rebecca Snavely said...

Oooh, Gosford Park - I need to re-watch that. And definitely need to read The Alchemist again, I remember finding it so moving and a beautiful story.