Friday, October 23, 2009

Do stories matter?

It's a hot October day in Los Angeles, and as I work on rewriting and compiling my stories from my time in Kosovo, I'm missing the fall and winter weather.


Ahh... my wood stove in my Kosovo kitchen. In winter, with the electricity turned off more than on, it was my main source of warmth, and I quickly learned to cook over it. (Isn't it funny how romantic memories can be? I forget the pain of burning my right thumb in the same spot, almost every morning, as I reached in to feed the fire with more wood.) The teapot was always filled with water, an easy humidifier and ready to pour for a cup of caj (tea) when visitors stopped by to sit and tell stories.

“Imagine our tribe around a fire on a dark night and ask yourself: do stories matter?” ~David Guterson

As a city girl, I don't sit around fires much anymore. I miss beach bonfires at the Oregon coast, the fireplace in the winter.

2 comments:

Jewels said...

I so agree there is nothing like sitting around a camp fire. I love how everyone tells storie and connects.

Des said...

Yes, it is funny how we romanticize our memories. I was thinking about that the other day when I was having lunch with a friend of mine from college. I have such great memories of college but the majority of them were from my first year. I always forget that by the end I was so ready to leave and move on with my life. So yes I agree with you, memory is a funny thing.