Thursday, October 15, 2009

All I need to know I learned from the Mary Tyler Moore Show

Who can turn the world on with her smile? Who can take a nothing day, and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile?

I grew up adoring the Mary Tyler Moore Show. (And Matlock, but that's a whole other story.) I've never exactly fit in with my generation, and sometimes had to watch Nick at Nite at 2am to catch Mary, Lou Grant, Rhoda and co. in all their office and dating hijinks. When my sister bought me the first season on DVD, the sales assistant said, "Huh. We don't sell many of these." That, my friends, is a shame. It is one of the best comedies ever on TV.

Part of what I learned from The Mary Tyler Moore Show, other than that it's okay to spin in a circle and toss my hat in the air, was that a lot of freedom came with turning 30. Mary finally ditched that doctor who wasn't right for her, moved to the big city of Minneapolis, and got a job as an associate producer in a newsroom. In my 30s so far, I'm learning what Anne Lamott writes, that the word "no" is a complete sentence. I'm learning to take things bird by bird (Anne Lamott again), to forgive myself as I forgive others, and that I'm young, and there's a lot o' living to be done.

I need these reminders while in the midst of underemployment, as my friend kindly calls it. I'm putting out to the universe all that I hope to do and to be, willing to pack my bags and go wherever I can be used, longing to write stories about people living their lives helping others, to be a voice for the voiceless, finding more connections. My friend Shannon is celebrating her 6 year anniversary of walking out the door of a corporate office building, to create and live the life she dreamed of having. Read about her decision and the scary and soaring experiences she's had on her blog. As she wrote: Life is designable. Go design.

One of THE funniest shows.


 

2 comments:

Laurel said...

Awe!!!I just saw a dres yesterday at H and M that was very Mary:) Stay positive . One thing kind of kooky and corny that I do when i am trying to get through a time of uncertainty in my life is to say aloud -with my arms outstretched _"I am open to the abundance of the the universe.It makes me fell like I am calling good into my life. I think it helps. I wish you happy :)
xxoo

Rebecca Snavely said...

Thanks Laurel! I don't think it's corny at all, I need that reminder to open up to the universe, emotionally and physically.