Saturday, September 19, 2009

Talk like a pirate, dress like a pirate ... in a tutu

Today, and every September 19, is International Talk Like a Pirate Day. Years ago, on assignment, I ventured to Ojai for my first Renaissance Faire to write about pirate reenactors. It was fabulous fun, and even though a drunk pirate tossed me over his shoulder after declaring that I'd make a fine wench, what with my pock-free face (thank you! Accutane), I found them to be a gentle, if inebriated, people.

If you're looking to develop a pirate persona - check out the Port Royal Privateers website, to answer character questions such as, "Do I have bad teeth that hurt all the time and make me grouchy?" "Was I hit by a cannonball so that I drag my left leg?"

And never has a truer word been written: "Who are my relatives? ... It is more fun to come from a dysfunctional family that the audience can identify with."

Etsy's daily email was full of ideas for Talk Like a Pirate Day. Have you ever seen anything more adorable and slightly disturbing than this little pirate/wench costume?





If Abby's Tutu Factory offers this in my size I may have to change my Halloween costume plans.

1 comment:

paul thomas said...

You and I are probably too tall to be pirates. I have enough trouble finding good-fitting shirts--I'm sure my scabbard would have to be custom-made.