Thursday, September 17, 2009

Grass is greener


I've written before about feeling the need for change, to feel more connection to place and space and green. Is it simply needing a break from the city, a grass-is-always-greener complex, or is it part of natural growth and change?

Reading about Barbara Brown Taylor's experience with the earth, nature and spirit in Leaving Church helps me identify these needs and listen more closely. After leaving a large city church in Atlanta for the small town of Clarkesville in northern Georgia, Barbara and her husband search for the land and place to build their dream farmhouse.

"Some people spend years of their lives searching for the person whom they were born to love. I spent close to two searching for the land where I was meant to live. After scores of failed blind dates, I decided to marry the land that day, before I had walked ten steps past the oak — before I had found the trillium and the jewelweed, before the elderberry had produced its tiny purple clusters or the persimmon had dropped its plump fruit on the ground. I fell in love before I ever plucked a ripe muscadine from the vine or made a pie from the blackberries that grow along the path to the river. The milkweed was still in its pod that day, but even if I had seen it spilling its white silk on the air, my heart needed no more convincing. I had found my place on earth.

"...To remember that I am dirt and to dirt I shall return is to be given my life back again, if only for one present moment at a time. ... In the only wisdom I have at my disposal, the Creator does not live apart from creation but spans and suffuses it. When I take a breath, God's Holy Spirit enters me. When a cricket speaks to me, I talk back. Like everything else on earth, I am an embodied soul, who leaps to life when I recognize my kin. If this makes me a pagan, then I am a grateful one."




5 comments:

The Unlikely Pastor's Wife said...

ahhh so refreshing to read this beautiful morning.

Thank you.

paul thomas said...

Interesting that despite finding her "dream spot" she didn't stay long, eventually moving on to something else that was "greener", albeit vocationally. Some of us are just never satisfied.

Rebecca Snavely said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca Snavely said...

whoops, meant to write that I think she DID stay in her dream spot - in the green space of land where they built their house. Changing vocations to a place just 6 miles down the road allowed her to stay where she was happy. I just want a green, soul space to return to, no matter what / where my job is...

paul thomas said...

You've refreshed my memory and you're right, she did stay. My place for this refreshing is El Dorado Park--I go there most every day. In the absence of my own land I'll take advantage of the government's.