Thursday, September 24, 2009

Follow your bliss -- logic is optional


INFP + Sagittarius = idealistic optimist. As I dream, plot and put out to the universe the hopes I have for what comes next in life, I find myself needing to remind people that I'm not only an optimist, but an intuitive who lives by instinct and gut feelings.

I've mentioned before that I don't live my life by astrological horoscopes, but they can be soul-stirrers, especially when they inspire dreams, plans, or match my personality. Today's general horoscope from Beliefnet reads:

"Common sense won't give us the answers that we seek now as the idealistic Sagittarius Moon lifts our spirits, enabling us to believe that anything is possible. Fortunately, magic can happen today as planets align on several points of a 5-pointed star. These quintile aspects involving the Moon, Mercury, Mars, Jupiter and Neptune allow us to find original solutions to ongoing problems if we are willing to let our imaginations take the lead."

After I took the Myers Briggs personality test, my counselor gave me a detailed description about the INFP (a.k.a Healer) type; it's so spot-on, I've thought about carrying copies and giving it to first dates for required reading. Especially the following paragraph:

"In evaluating things and making decisions, Healers prefer to follow their intuition rather than logic. They respond to the beautiful versus the ugly, the good versus the bad, and the moral versus the immoral. Impressions are gained in a fluid, global, diffused way. Metaphors come naturally to them but may be strained. They have a gift for interpreting symbols, as well as creating them, and thus often write in lyric, poetic fashion. They show a tendency to take deliberate liberties with logic, believing as they do (and unlike the Rationals) that logic is something optional."

This is good to know for people who pick a fight (or when I pick a fight) — you can argue the logic of a point of view all you want, it doesn't matter to me. What matters is what should be. A little how-to guide for embracing the idealist in your life.


(Top photo: "Follow Your Bliss" by Irene Suchocki, Etsy)

5 comments:

glutton4punishment said...

I identify with the "Healer" description as well...and I applaud you for owning the idealistic part of yourself. Idealism is a hard quality to keep hold of in this world, but I think it's worth fighting for.

Des said...

I'm not into astrological horoscopes. Well, that is until someone reads them to me and they perfectly nail me. lol. It's unsettling how on target astrology can be.

Diane Davis said...

saw this blog title and thought you were moving to berkeley...

Rebecca Snavely said...

I finally gave up trying to be at all rational -- it hurt my head.

Des - did this one hit home? What's your imagination telling you to do? :)

Diane - I can see how the "no logic required" could lead you to that assumption. Not yet... the universe hasn't answered that question - yet.

Des said...

Yes, this post did hit home. Like I said before, I don't pay attention to astrology but when someone reads me the horoscope for an Aries I'm always kind of freaked out by how accurate it is.

What is my imagination telling me to do? That is such a difficult question. The short answer is I'm still trying to figure it out.