Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Dream decorating: Environment Furniture and green design

One of my favorite childhood books is From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. In it, Claudia Kincaid wants to run away, but "she wants to run to somewhere--to a place that is comfortable, beautiful, and preferably elegant." She and her brother Jamie move into the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.

I don't live near the Met, but after I visited the L.A. showroom for Environment Furniture, I had visions of hiding under one of their fabulous beds until the lights were turned out, the door was locked, and then to spend my nights surrounded by comfortable, beautiful, and elegant furniture. They have a living room design complete with record albums, music playing and art on the walls.

Environment's line is made from re-purposed materials and responsibly harvested natural materials. One gorgeous couch in the showroom was made from old army tents. It sounds scratchy and uncomfortable, but it was soft and cozy. They were featured in Time Magazine's The Green Design 100, showcasing sustainable luxury.

I can't live in the showroom, but I can dream of decorating (all featured in the Green Design 100) with Environment furniture ...




With Grenware dishes ...


In a Lindal cedar home ...


Painted with Freshaire paints... (I painted my non-sustainable apartment with this VOC-free brand. I chose Joshua Tree for my room, warm and relaxing.)


A girl can dream, right?

1 comment:

Dionne Sincire said...

you'll get there.., some day....