Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Costume countdown: cast your vote

I take Halloween costumes very seriously, though usually my best laid plans change last-minute, and I'm making a mad dash to thrift stores to create my latest vision. A favorite of many was one such last-minute idea, when Katie Holmes was pregnant, I stuffed a paper towel belly into a tee-shirt that read "Save Katie's Baby," wore oversized sunglasses, a big button with Tom's face on it, and doctored a "for Dummies" book to read "Dianetics For Dummies." I walked about, saying, in a slightly dazed voice, how amazing everything was.

Big hit, plus, as the faux belly fell through the night, it made for a great cup holder for my drinks, SO inappropriate for a pregnant lady.

So this year, I'm debating between two characters. One is a classic, someone I've long wanted to dress up as: Carol Burnett's Mrs. Hannigan in "Annie."

I can't find a photo of her pouring gin into her tub, but that's the look I'd go for, layered, tattered slips, long pearls, bright lipstick drunkenly applied slightly outside the lip line, black eyeliner and messy hair.


Or, Luna Lovegood from "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince." I'm not a huge Harry Potter person. I read book 7 first, so as not to miss out on the finalé madness. But when I saw Luna in "Half-Blood," I sensed a kindred spirit, a feeling confirmed when she stated, "I've never been to this part of the castle. Well, not awake. I sleepwalk, you see. That's why I wear shoes to bed."

(I couldn't find a photo of her silver dress for the Christmas party, but maybe this look would be easier to re-create.)


Which is your vote for me this Halloween? Gin-filled Mrs. Hannigan (making for an easy excuse for an ever-present drink) or fellow sleep-wanderer Luna Lovegood?

7 comments:

Diane Davis said...

i vote for carol and the gin...

and i most certainly vote for PICTURES!

Des said...

Definitely Mrs. Hannigan. That was such a great character.

Rebecca Snavely said...

Oh, there will be photos. I think my gut was to go with Mrs. Hannigan too, and your votes cement it. Though only 2 votes on such a hot-topic issue? Surprising.

Dionne Sincire said...

I say Ms. Hannigan!

Janelle said...

Gin! I mean Hannigan!

Peonies and Polaroids said...

Mrs Hannigan, definitely. Getting into character will be MUCH more fun.

Rebecca Snavely said...

You're so right - so much more fun to get into character. Luna Lovegood is not of drinking age.

Gin wins! Definitely a night for public transportation. Even more fun to be in costume on the bus/metro.

Putting up a Mrs. Hannigan post soon - with a video ("Little Girls")