Through a twisty blog route following a link from one of my favorite blogs - Apartment Therapy San Francisco, I found the Paris Hotel Boutique blog (full of fun ideas) and finally, on the Romantic Homes Magazine site, this list about cottage life.
- You may find a pair of shoes in the bread drawer.
- Feather dusters are only useful as an accessory with a French maid's costume. Otherwise they are just displacing dust.
- You learn to live with less.
- The outdoors and indoors are one and the same.
- There are certain times of the day when the sun casts its rays on every corner—a perfect time to sweep.
- Friends and neighbors will stop by and stay awhile.
- The kitchen stove is always being put to use.
- Castaways will find a home somewhere.
- Neighborhood pets sometimes consider your home their own.
- There are no rules for how to grow the perfect garden.
These eclectic patios are more my style - the lanterns, antique birdcage (sans bird, birds and I don't do well in captivity) and mismatched furniture: (houzz.com).
It's fun to dream - but if anyone has tips on how to make this life a reality, I'm open...
(Cottage photo from Susie, flickr.com, lake photo from Greg Gladman, flickr)