Tuesday, July 28, 2009
A little mercury with your meal? Don't blame (just) the fish!
Either because I'm getting old, or (hopefully) more aware, the conversation surrounding our sushi on Saturday centered on health issues. A friend had recently been diagnosed with dangerously high levels of mercury in her system, but she was not a big fish eater. The likely culprit? The Hershey's chocolate syrup she used in her daily morning coffee to create an at-home mocha.
Trying to nix extra calories and processed foods, I've been avoiding high fructose corn syrup. It's difficult to do: check your salsa, your yogurt, your honey, your ketchup, the list goes on. But now I have even more reason to run from it - as reported in The Washington Post, "the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy (IATP), a non-profit watchdog group, found that nearly one in three of 55 brand-name foods contained mercury. The chemical was found most commonly in HFCS-containing dairy products, dressings and condiments."
One more reason to buy real, unprocessed foods and to buy local. And to go see "Food, Inc."
(Photo courtesy AutismParents.net - "Yummy Mercury in Your High Fructose Corn Syrup?")