Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Seeing symbols (and peacocks)

I may not have thought anything of it when I saw the silky tanktop in a brilliant, peacock teal-blue. Out of my price range, Diane, my friend and host for a weekend away in the Bay Area, agreed that it was nonetheless a perfect "Rebecca" color. We waited for Katie to drag herself away from Therapy, a store that was a perfect fit for her (as were the two sundresses she found).

A few stores down the way, I saw a peacock placemat. Stroking its silky feathers, I commented again that while I may not put it on my table, I loved the colors, the texture, the seeming sets of eyes looking back at me.

It was the third sighting of peacock feathers that caught my inner eye. As the Berkeley church service began, I noticed the image of a lone peacock feather at the bottom of the main screen projecting the words of scripture. I believe we should pay attention to repeated patterns in our lives, and have lately been curious about animal totems and icons. I've also been searching for the perfect tattoo that would symbolize where I am at this moment on my journey.

I found the site The Peaceful Peacock, and a post about the symbolism of the peacock. From the post:
  • Peacock feathers are a symbol of renewal. The entire tail of feathers is renewed each year and they lose the previous batch over the season naturally
  • The peacock is associated with the Hindu deity that represents benevolence, patience, kindness, compassion, and luck. It is also the national bird of India.
  • In Japan, the peacock is associated with an emblem of love, compassionate watchfulness, good will, nurturing, and kind-heartedness.
On another site, I found that "in Hinduism the Peacock is associated with Lakshmi who is a deity representing benevolence, patience, kindness, compassion and good luck.

Similar to Lakshmi, the Peacock is associated with Kwan-yin in Asian spirituality. Kwan-yin (or Quan Yin) is also an emblem of love, compassionate watchfulness, good-will, nurturing, and kind-heartedness. Legend tells us she chose to remain a mortal even though she could be immortal because she wished to stay behind and aid humanity in their spiritual evolution.

In Christianity the Peacock symbolism represents the “all-seeing” church, along with the holiness and sanctity associated with it. Additionally, the Peacock represents resurrection, renewal and immortality within the spiritual teachings of Christianity.

Contemplate the powers of the peacock when you need more vibrancy and vitality in your experience."

1 comment:

Diane Davis said...

wow wow wow. since i was with you on all three of these sightings, hearing about so much meaning behind the symbol is amazing. very cool indeed.