Monday, February 11, 2008

Ode to Kosova

Rumor (and most news sources) has it that Kosova will declare independence on February 17th. There are so many different ramifications and meanings to this, as I am reminded every time I email one of my Kosovar Albanian friends, or what I hear from the Serbian side from a new friend attending university here in the States.

After having dinner with my new Serbian friend, I am still digesting some of what he said about the pending independence, and the feelings from the Serb side, and how I can understand that in my limited context. Despite the tension and anxiety, or perhaps because of that, it is an exciting time as history is being made. Though there is no official anthem yet for Kosova, the Philharmonic is tuning to the sound of Beethoven's Ode To Joy. According to David Charter from The Times Online, the government is deciding between a new flag, one that will honor all nationalities living within the small border that defines Kosova, that will pay tribute to the past while looking forward to the future.

No comments: