Friday, May 05, 2006

In the Details

"Our lives are at once ordinary and mythical. We live and die, age beautifully or full of wrinkles. We wake in the morning, buy yellow cheese, and hope we have enough money to pay for it. At the same instant we have these magnificent hearts that pump through all sorrow and all winters we are alive on the earth. We are important and our lives are important, magnificent really, and their details are worthy to be recorded. ... Otherwise, if they are not, we can drop a bomb and it doesn't matter. ...

Recording the details of our lives is a stance against bombs with their mass ability to kill, against too much speed and efficiency. A writer must say yes to life, to all of life. ... Our task is to say a holy yes to the real things of our life as they exist – the real truth of who we are. ... We must become writers who accept things as they are, come to love the details, and step forward with a yes on our lips so there can be no more noes in the world, noes that invalidate life and stop these details from continuing. -- Natalie Goldberg, Writing Down the Bones

2 comments:

Wi-Ne-Ma Has-Been said...

DUDE!! What's up with the old email address!!

Hey Rebecca!
How are you? We haven't been in contact in SO long.
It feels like a lifetime, and I suppose it has been.
I was reading JJ's site and saw a link to yours and
wanted to get back in contact with you. In case you
are wondering who on earth is the crazy person writing
you it's me, Lindsay Fowler, also know as Paige
Svedberg. I am sure you remember the "Lindsay Fowler"
part, but the email address may have thrown you for a
loop. I am married and go by my middle name now, thus
"Paige Svedberg" Boy does that feel surreal to write,
like the meeting of two worlds.... Anyway, as a
result, I now understand the difficulties associated
with changing your name mid-life. Perhaps the biggest
challenge is that no one who knew you prior to the
change knows what to call you, or is awkward or
uncomfortable calling you by a different name.
Wow....It is I that I may not be making sense right
now....it is now 5:50am and I've been up since 3:30 or
so. Sleeping issues you know? Anyway I'll persevere,
and hopefully you will also (ha, ha). Boy, you've
been busy since college! I almost felt like I was
watching the short movie, or sitcom, of some
strangers' life. I had to remind myself that I
actually knew you.
I'm so impressed with your courage to travel and forge
your own path. It seems like a lifetime ago since we
lived 10 feet from each other. What are you doing to
keep yourself busy? From reading your blogs, I am
sure that it is fascinating, even if it was sitting at
home eating bon-bons and watching Saturday Night Live
re-runs all day. Pretty much all this is to say, I
would love to hear all about what you have been/are
doing.
Well, I've bombarded you with enough for at least the
next 10min. of your life, that is if you do write back
(hey, hey). So I will leave it at that and sign off.
I would love to reconnect with you.

Over and Out,
Paige

Wi-Ne-Ma Has-Been said...

oh, yeah... since you have a blog site, I thought maybe I'd give it a shot. so it's Wi-Ne-Ma-Alum...and I guess my "name" is Wi-Ne-Ma Has-Been