Saturday, March 11, 2006

Bookish folk

I’ve been in Portland – well, West Linn, for a couple of weeks now. The grey skies and rain are conducive to my need to catch up on sleep. As I try to overcome my perfectionist bent and just WRITE, I’ve been looking for inspiration for writing – and have found the following from the books I’m reading:

“Every fairy tale offers the potential to surpass present limits, so in a sense the fairy tale offers you freedoms that reality denies. In all great works of fiction, regardless of the grim reality they present, there is an affirmation of life against the transience of that life, an essential defiance.” – Azar Nafisi
Reading Lolita in Tehran

“Mathematics contrasted strongly with the ambiguities and contradictions in people. The world of people had no certainty or logic. … After I became a novelist, I realized that the ambiguities and complexities of the human mind are what give fiction and perhaps all art its power. A good novel gets under our skin, provokes us and haunts us long after the first reading, because we never fully understand the characters. … Good characters must retain a certain mystery and unfathomable depth, even for the author. I learned to appreciate both certainty and uncertainty. Both are necessary for the world. Both are part of being human. – Alan Lightman
A Sense of the Mysterious

No comments: