Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Power! Power! Wonder Working Power!

I began day 13 of absolutely, positively no power in the house by going to the gym to work out, then showering at a friend's house. Today at 3:14pm, I flipped the house switch from generator to regular power, an action that has become a cynical joke in the last two weeks, and lo and behold! I turned on the hair dryer, started a much needed load of laundry, and flipped on a few lights before the earth-day fairy whispered threats in my ear.

But there is power! (For at least an hour at a time - likely we're on a 2 hours on, 4 hours off grid. Right now, that sounds heavenly.)

I'm heading out of here on Monday, so I'm packing in as many visits and meetings as I can. I fly to Dublin, Ireland, then on to Belfast area, where Si Johnston is putting his gift of hospitality to the test and letting me unwind there. I also get to attend the conference he is hosting, the Celtic Soliton sessions. If anyone has any recommendations of "must see" places in Dublin or Belfast area - please let me know!

5 comments:

jimmy said...

You get to drink real Guinness...

...I'm so jealous...

Rebecca Snavely said...

Ahh, don't be too jealous. Guinness is packed full of gluten-y goodness, so I probably won't touch a drop. :(

jeffery said...

Some of us have to endure power ALL of the time. Power for nightlights, power for can openers and toothbrushes...the unending hassle! Oh for a life without power!
Your adventure/inteview session/travelog is quite enviable. Nice change from Hollywood too!
Cheers, cousin Jeffery who you saw in Bend but not at Christmas...

Isaac said...

How has the power been in Portland?

Rebecca Snavely said...

Jeff and Isaac - you both reminded me I need to post something to the blog! Thanks for reading -- and being my conscience. It took me some time to readjust to all this power. In Ireland, I had my computer on early in the morning, the only light in the room. When it went dark in standy mode, my first response was "oh. Power's out." I had to think for a few minutes before realizing I was in Dublin, and joyfully abused my power, turned on all the lights and took a HOT shower.